Having a new air conditioning system installed in your home is an exciting endeavor — but it’s also important to make sure that the air quality in your home is improved as a result of the new system. Here are 10 tips to help you improve the air quality in your home with your new AC system.
- Change Your Air Filters Regularly: The key to maintaining indoor air quality is to regularly replace your air filters, as they can easily become clogged with dirt and dust if not maintained correctly. The best practice is to check your filter every month and replace it at least once a year.
- Clean Vents & Ducts: Dirty vents and ducts can also contribute to poor indoor air quality, so cleaning them regularly is essential for improving the air in your home. Vacuuming or wiping down the vents and ducts will help keep them clean and reduce the amount of dust that gets circulated throughout your home when the AC runs.
- Install an Air Purifier: Air purifiers are an effective way to trap airborne pollutants and improve the overall air quality in your home. When shopping for an air purifier, be sure to buy one that is rated for your home’s size, as smaller units may not provide enough coverage.
- Open Windows When Possible: Opening windows when the weather permits can help introduce fresh air into your home, which can help reduce indoor air pollution. Even if you live in a city with high levels of pollution, opening windows briefly throughout the day can still provide some relief from stale indoor air.
- Use Chemical-Free Cleaners: Many common household cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can contribute to poor indoor air quality. Make sure to use natural, chemical-free cleaners when cleaning your home to keep the air clean and breathable.
- Invest in a Dehumidifier: High humidity levels can make it harder for your AC system to effectively cool your home, which can lead to stagnant air that is full of allergens and pollutants. Investing in a dehumidifier can help reduce the amount of moisture in the air and improve indoor air quality as a result.
- Keep Houseplants: Keeping houseplants around your home is a great way to naturally filter out airborne pollutants like allergens, dust, and pet dander. Look for plants that are easy to maintain and require minimal care — such as succulents or spider plants — for the best results.
- Vacuum Regularly: Vacuuming or sweeping your floors regularly can help reduce dust and other allergens in your home. Just make sure to use a vacuum with a HEPA filter, as these are designed to capture the smallest of particles that may be circulating in your air.
- Avoid Toxic Candles & Air Fresheners: While they may smell nice, scented candles and air fresheners can contain harmful chemicals that can harm indoor air quality. Look for fragrance-free alternatives when possible, or opt for natural essential oils instead of synthetic fragrances.
- Maintain Your AC System: The most important tip to improving indoor air quality with your new AC system is to make sure it is properly maintained. Schedule regular air conditioner maintenance checks to ensure that your system is running as efficiently and effectively as possible, and don’t forget to change your air filters regularly.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that the air in your home remains clean and healthy for years to come. Your new AC system can be a great asset for improving indoor air quality — but only if it’s correctly taken care of!
Crossway Mechanical LLC is dedicated to helping you maintain a healthy indoor environment. Our team of certified HVAC professionals has the knowledge and experience needed to ensure that your system is performing at its best, so you can enjoy cleaner, fresher air in your Tomball, TX home. With regular maintenance checks and filter replacements, Crossway Mechanical will help make sure your home’s air remains free from allergens, dust, and other pollutants. Get in touch with us today at 832-250-6191 to schedule an appointment!